Can I extend my visa waiver status in the United States?

Visitors who enter on the visa waiver program may not apply for an extension of stay, and are not permitted to change status to a work visa category in the United States. If a visitor ultimately receives a job offer while in the United States, s/he must apply for the appropriate visa with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), leave the United States, and obtain the visa (stamp in passport) at a U.S. embassy or consulate once the application or petition is approved by USCIS.